Monday, April 15, 2013

Letter #13

Hey everybody! 

It's crazy how so much happens in a week!!!  FIRST--big news--I wasn't transferred!  WOOHOO! And neither were my companions! We thought for SURE one of us had to go, since there wasn't going to be an odd number of sisters anymore, but then a sister went home a transfer earlier than planned so we get to stay as a three!!!!! Which is seriously really exciting, because we just have so much fun!!  AHHH I was so happy we get to be together, in Volzhsky, for 6 more weeks!!! It's both of their birthdays this transfer, plus victory day! SOO much fun!!
Oh and I got some mail this week!!! Thank you soo much for the dearelders! It's super nice to get those because I can read them whenever, and I don't feel too rushed.  :)  Heather thank you so much for thinking of me!! Sydney and I have been emailing back and forth. :) Sofi your story was so exciting!!! I wrote you back, so hopefully you get a letter soon!!  And Addie your letters seriously make me laugh so hard.  They are HILARIOUS!  Barbara tell your whole family thank you for the letter, I love hearing from you guys!  And Nicole, I think that every time I get mail there is a letter from you, without fail--I LOVE it! xOxxXo
Some of the most exciting things that happened this week....
We went to visit a woman, Lily, who decided to make us blini!  We were so excited!  Until we saw the ginormus block of tvorog (grody, sourish stuff kind of like cream cheese?) mixed with raisins that she was planning to put inside.  It was kind of my fault, because the time before when we met with her I was like, "I loveeee raisins!" because poor Sister Houseman doesn't like them at all and I thought it was funny, so it really was totally my fault she made the big tvorog-raisin mix.  Anyway, this lady is super into health stuff, like she was looking at our hands to tell us what diseases we had and how many husbands we were going to have and stuff, so she didn't have anything sweet really to put in the blini.  SO we start making them together, and we tried to put just a little bit of tvorog in, and she like plops the HUGEST chunk in for all of ours, and is like, "try it!!"  So we do.  And Sister Houseman almost throws up, all over the table. I could see her out of the corner of my eye gagging! Haha.  I was having a really hard time holding it down too, to be honest.  I was having major flashbacks of eating a tvorogy pastry thing and almost throwing up one of our first years in Moscow. So we started to get concerned that we were going to have to eat all of the huge bowl, so we offered to make some blini for her husband (who was hiding in the bedroom because he kind of hates missionaries) and we filled them allllll up with tvorog for him.  Sister Houseman took lots of pictures, so hopefully you guys will get to see them! :)
Last Pday we went to Mamaaev Kurgan, which was so cool.  We were pretty much the only ones there, since it was cold and rainyish.  It is seriously huge! Everyone we talk to about it is like, "Its bigger than the statue of liberty!" So competitive. Haha.  It was really big.  After Mommy Corgan, as Sister Holmes calls it, we went shopping in a different grocery store than usual and found.....wait for it...SALSA! And tortilla chips, and fajita seasoning! We almost passed out we were so excited.  Plus Sister Holmes found tobasco sauce, which she is actually addicted to I think.  So we have to go back today and restock on all that mexican food goodness.  I also found cans of green beans, which made me so happy!  Who knew how happy a can of green beans could make me?
We went on splits this week, so I spent a day in Traktorney.  It was really fun, Sister Holmes and I were with Sister Bradley--she's been here as long as Sister Houseman, so she knows what she's doing.  We're about to find out if Sister Holmes and I know what we're doing...Sister Houseman's going to center for a few days, so we're on our own for a little bit!  The only terrifying part is that we have to find our way to a lady's house who we've never met.  I think it's going to take us like 15 minutes on a marshrutka then an hour walking.  So hopefully we find it!
We had some interesting lessons this week as well.  One, with Nikolai, went medium well...he just can't hear! And it's kind of a problem.  Everyone walking past was probably like, why are those girls yelling at that man? Because he wanted to meet outside, since it was pretty warm.  I really felt like I was yelling the whole time, but he was like, "I don't hear you" after everything we said. 
I'm really interested to see if this email even sends.  Apparently the internet is down..so we'll see!
More exciting things...we didn't get to contact very much this week sadly, because we're starting up a new English program, so we spent 3 hours advertising that every day.  It's looking like it's going to be pretty fun, plus our old English groupers are still going to come so they'll keep things interesting.  Last time we played this game, like homemade catchphrase, and when the word was "burrito", Sasha was like, "Oh! If you do not like your neighbor, feed him with THIS cuisine!"  There were a lot of other funny things but I can't remember them all.  Oh and these other two guys walked in during English and were like, "GIRL elders?!"  Haha it was pretty funny.  English kind of feels like a group of friends getting together to talk, it's fun.
I ate more food people gave me on the street this week.  I think it's the third time now.  A group of dancer people, singing this religious song and wearing these long hippyish clothes were passing out these coconut desserts, and we were pretty hungry so we just ate them. Probably not the safest thing, but it was really good, it tasted like those raffaelo candy things! And I'm still alive, so I guess they weren't poisoned. :)
There's a ton more I wish I could say, but I'm pretty much out of time!
Love you all! Thanks for all the support!!  Oh and I wanted to start ending with a quote, because you guys always send me really good ones and I love it. :)
Hmm actually I forgot to write a quote down...so I'll just try to kind of remember it!
"You can tell a lot about a man's ambition by whether he hates his alarm clock or considers it his best friend"
--Thomas Edison, or Albert Einstein--I can't remember. Haha!  Keep smiling everyone!

Love,
Cectpa McGhie!
PS: I learned this week that in Volgograd in the summer the bugs get so bad that you can't even talk to anyone.  Because the clouds of mosquitos are so thick.  CAN'T WAIT! Haha pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment