Monday, March 18, 2013

Letter #9


Preevyet preevyet everybody!  

Another week flew by, and it was definitely the best week yet!!  Biggest news: the man we're teaching set a baptism date for April 6th!  So exciting! We are working to help him be ready for that date--he is such an awesome person, and we're already such good friends!  I already wrote a little about him--he's about 60, and he's seriously the nicest man ever.  He even made us borsch!  Another exciting thing that happened this week was teaching a man named Victor--also a dedushka.  We have another appointment set up for next week sometime so that should be good!  Victor is about the same age as Pavel, but they are so incredibly different to teach.  Pavel accepts pretty much everything without much argument--Victor really loves to argue.  Pavel likes to hear us talk--Victor really seems to enjoy talking himself.  Like 20 minute monologues.  Haha but it's really great, and my Russian is definitely improving from trying to understand those monologues!  He likes to talk about things like money, America..etc.  It's great.  Fun fact: he used to be a bodybuilder!  He is about 5 foot 2.  Seriously.  So he is kind of a square.  Also, Victor makes homemade jam which he insisted we try.  We haven't gotten to meet with Yulia, the 9 year old girl yet, but she's finally out of the hospital so we should get to soon!  So exciting!

Transfers are this week and...I'm not transferred!  Woohoo! Haha.  I'm staying with Sister Houseman in Volzhsky, but surprise! We're getting a third sister with us! There was an odd number, soooo this should be fun!  The sister missionary with us is really awesome from what I've heard, so I'm not too worried.  Being in a three used to be my worst fear I think..but I'm actually really excited! Plus this next transfer is only 4 weeks, so even if it's rough it will be short haha.  

We tried some knocking this week which was soooo interesting...I felt like a saleswoman or something!  Most people politely just said no thank you, or "mne ne nado!" (that's a popular one--"I don't need that!").  The most interesting was when a guy came to the door with literally no clothes on.  Luckily for me he hid behind the door and peeked his head out, but poor Sister Houseman was on that side of the door so she wasn't so fortunate.  Haha.  Then she saw a man peeing on the street right after.  So funny.  She was totally grossed out both times. 

Speaking of Sister Houseman, the funniest thing happened!  Well, first it wasn't funny.  She was getting our dinner out of the oven, and accidentally grabbed the pan not completely with the oven mitt...she had a huge huge burn all over her fingers, that blistered in like 20 seconds! It was so terrifying, and looked so painful.  Anyway, so we had a meeting with our ward mission leader, so we had to hurry and leave.  We grabbed some bags of frozen veggies and ice cream and stuff for her to hold, but she didn't want anyone at the meeting to know because she was scared they'd make her go to the hospital (because they totally would have--not because it was that bad of a burn, mostly because the hospital seems to be the answer to any sort of sickness ever).  So she just had this bag of frozen potatoes in her purse, and she just kept her hand stuck in there the whole meeting.  Well, the potatoes started to get too warm and they weren't helping anymore, so she decided to start using a bag of vareniki, little dumpling things.  The bad part was the dough got super sticky all over when it warmed up, and she was basically cooking a bag of dumplings in her purse with her hand.  It was so, so funny.  I couldn't stop laughing, I felt pretty bad.  But she was laughing too.  It was so hilarious because no one in the meeting knew what was going on, and the ward mission leader started to get all worried because I had a stuffy nose--if only he knew what was really going on haha.  Later that night I woke up and totally smelled potatoes.  In the morning I asked Sister Houseman if she had the frozen potatoes on her hand during the night and she said no, so we decided the potato smell must have just been radiating from her hand.  

We met some really awesome people on the street this week!  For some reason tons of people wanted to give us their numbers!  It was so great!  One lady, Raiisa, was like jumping for joy that we gave her a Book of Mormon.  She called and told us she's been reading, and she'll call us when she wants to meet.  We helped another lady, Tamara, carry her groceries home because they looked really heavy.  They were.  It felt like 5 sacks of flour or something, I was kind of dying.  But still, better me and Sister Houseman than that cute old lady! I really don't know how she was carrying it all herself! It was so cute, she was really embarrased because she didn't put her teeth in to go to the store, so she was trying to explain how normally she had teeth.  

English club was..funny as always! Haha.  Our one friend there, Sasha who teaches English at a college, was telling us how he is doing this presentation in English on how to prepare for job interviews.  He said the number one rule is to "not form body berries".  Sister H was like, "body barriers?" and he was like, "NO. Body BERRIES".  He insisted that it was a new Swedish method, and it was definitely called body berries.  Sister H tried to explain berries are a food, and she's really sure it's not called body berries but he said he was sure his coworkers would be impressed.  

We ate really well this week--we used 2 American seasoning packs!  Fajitas with homemade tortillas, and we had pesto pasta.  So delicious.  We took pictures we were so excited!  I hope I can figure out how to send pictures now that we have to write from an internet club! I'm working on it. :)

The longer I'm here, the more I love it! I feel like I've said that before, but it's really true! Every day feels like such a good day, even if we just walked around in the cold and had people tell us no.  Things are going well!  Thanks for all your support, keep smiling!  Oh and I wrote some letters today--Shrina yours is going to your house because that's the address you put!
Love always,
Seestra McGhie
PS: Our elevator broke this week...and we live on the 9th floor.  Oh, and don't forget we have to buy and carry all our water for the week!  All I can say is I am going to have such awesome calf muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment