PREEVYET PREEVYET!
Another week in Volzhsky! Man this week was
seriously the hardest and most awesome week yet! First off--SHOUTOUTS
to you WONDERFUL people who sent me dearelders! Some missionaries
went down to Rostov this week so they brought up the mail. FHE FAMILY
you guys are so awesome!!!!!! Congrats on all the mission calls!!!
Anyone else getting calls better send me a letter and keep me
posted!!!!! (Even though Ashlyn does a good job :)) I will write back
to all you FHEers as soon as possible!!!!! Miss Sofi Belnap your
letter was perfect! And Chase, you're probably in the MTC already but
I got your letter! And Addie I hope you're all recovered because that
sounded terrifying!! Biggest shoutout ever goes to KATINKA AND SHRINA
AND ANICKA!!! I got your present!!!!!! Oh my gosh you guys are the
cutest people in the world, DANKJEWEL! I loveeee it! <3 Basically,
everybody keep sending those letters because they are the best thing
EVER!
So. This week we had three appointments set up to teach...and all
three fell through. Which just made me and Sister Houseman all the
more determinded to find someone! We street taught a ton, I think it
was up to like 30 lessons this week or something, and then we met with
a bunch of different people who used to come to church but don't
anymore. They were all really awesome, and invited us back, so we're
hoping we can help them out! We asked what we could do to help one
lady and she sent us out for her groceries. Haha I think she's one of
the first to actually take us up on our offer to help, so good for her
I guess!
I am learning the whole marshrutka system really well. It's pretty
much how we get around everywhere--little vans, covered in mud, that
you pass up your 13 rubles to the driver, who finds your change and
hands it back (while driving), and you shout "na ostanovka ostanavitye
pozhalsta!" when you want to get off. It's cool. I messed up some
lady's change though when I was trying to pass 13 rubles one way, and
her change back to her, and she got all mad. That part wasn't so
cool.
We met a lot of people this week who were super interested in what we
had to say! One guy talked to us about the Book of Mormon for like 30
minutes, and another lady agreed to come to church. Then didn't. But
still! Haha I hope this letter doesn't sound like we are having no
success, because I totally don't feel that way at all! Seriously the
opposite. :)
When we got to church Sunday a lady who hadn't come in forever was
there! And she said it was because we had called her! Best part--she
brought her granddaughter, who is nine and ADORABLE! We are kind of
already best friends, and she already makes fun of my Russian. Haha
her grandma asked if we would come teach her about baptism this week,
because she really wants her daughter to get baptized so we said of
course! So exciting, they are both so great!
Sister Houseman and I taught a lesson at church this week. In
Russian. It was 50 minutes, so we were totally terrified but it went
so well! We even used Sage's valentine drawing of a flower as a
visual aid. :) They thought it was adorable. The ladies in the class
helped so much, because they talked a lot. If we had just had to talk
in Russian for 50 minutes I think we would have had a rough time, but
at the end we both felt really good about it. :)
English club was so funny this week. One guy, who is about 50
something started telling us about all his pen pals. I guess that's
the way he likes to practice English? He told us how he just wants to
be friends, but all these women want romance. It was hilarious.
One woman we met this week was named Nina. She was so friendly, and
wanted to talk to us more so she gave us her phone number. Then, as
we were leaving, she was like wait! And she bent down and started
digging in her bag and pulled out two huge handfuls of dates! Like
the dried fruit. Sister Houseman doesn't even like raisins, and I
could tell she wasn't too jazzed about the dates off the street haha.
But we were both just like "spasibaaa!" and Sister Houseman was like
"So delicious" and the lady was like, "You didn't try them yet!" So I
just ate some so she wouldn't feel bad haha. I heard Sister
Houseman's family reads this blog, so shoutout to them! Your daughter
is SO awesome!!!!!!!!
I love Sister Houseman. We wore twin polka dot outfits this week for
zone conference haha. I think some of the other companionships might
think we're crazy but we can't help that so many funny things happen
all the time! The other missionaries here are really great too,
everyone works so hard and does such a good job! The elders are good
sports, because a lot of times people are way meaner to them--like
pull off their nametags or spit at them or whatever. I'm pretty lucky
that none of that has happened to me yet! And if it does, you'll all
know. :)
Before I left on my mission Caleb cranney told me in a letter that
being on a mission is like finally being able to do all the things you
always meant to do. SO true. I love it here, and I love the people I
have met and meet everyday! I miss lots of people, and I miss lots of
food, but for 18 months, its so worth it! The more I forget myself,
the happier I am!
Lots of love,
Sister McGhie
PS: I officially have to get a new nametag...the Sister
Mangee/Monkey/Magic is getting to be a serious issue.
PPS: Sister Houseman and I invented a cookie. It's called a Cow
Cookie. For two reasons: One, because it's an oatmeal cookie with a
carmel candy called "karovka" (cow) inside. Two: They will make you
fat like a cow.
Another week in Volzhsky! Man this week was
seriously the hardest and most awesome week yet! First off--SHOUTOUTS
to you WONDERFUL people who sent me dearelders! Some missionaries
went down to Rostov this week so they brought up the mail. FHE FAMILY
you guys are so awesome!!!!!! Congrats on all the mission calls!!!
Anyone else getting calls better send me a letter and keep me
posted!!!!! (Even though Ashlyn does a good job :)) I will write back
to all you FHEers as soon as possible!!!!! Miss Sofi Belnap your
letter was perfect! And Chase, you're probably in the MTC already but
I got your letter! And Addie I hope you're all recovered because that
sounded terrifying!! Biggest shoutout ever goes to KATINKA AND SHRINA
AND ANICKA!!! I got your present!!!!!! Oh my gosh you guys are the
cutest people in the world, DANKJEWEL! I loveeee it! <3 Basically,
everybody keep sending those letters because they are the best thing
EVER!
So. This week we had three appointments set up to teach...and all
three fell through. Which just made me and Sister Houseman all the
more determinded to find someone! We street taught a ton, I think it
was up to like 30 lessons this week or something, and then we met with
a bunch of different people who used to come to church but don't
anymore. They were all really awesome, and invited us back, so we're
hoping we can help them out! We asked what we could do to help one
lady and she sent us out for her groceries. Haha I think she's one of
the first to actually take us up on our offer to help, so good for her
I guess!
I am learning the whole marshrutka system really well. It's pretty
much how we get around everywhere--little vans, covered in mud, that
you pass up your 13 rubles to the driver, who finds your change and
hands it back (while driving), and you shout "na ostanovka ostanavitye
pozhalsta!" when you want to get off. It's cool. I messed up some
lady's change though when I was trying to pass 13 rubles one way, and
her change back to her, and she got all mad. That part wasn't so
cool.
We met a lot of people this week who were super interested in what we
had to say! One guy talked to us about the Book of Mormon for like 30
minutes, and another lady agreed to come to church. Then didn't. But
still! Haha I hope this letter doesn't sound like we are having no
success, because I totally don't feel that way at all! Seriously the
opposite. :)
When we got to church Sunday a lady who hadn't come in forever was
there! And she said it was because we had called her! Best part--she
brought her granddaughter, who is nine and ADORABLE! We are kind of
already best friends, and she already makes fun of my Russian. Haha
her grandma asked if we would come teach her about baptism this week,
because she really wants her daughter to get baptized so we said of
course! So exciting, they are both so great!
Sister Houseman and I taught a lesson at church this week. In
Russian. It was 50 minutes, so we were totally terrified but it went
so well! We even used Sage's valentine drawing of a flower as a
visual aid. :) They thought it was adorable. The ladies in the class
helped so much, because they talked a lot. If we had just had to talk
in Russian for 50 minutes I think we would have had a rough time, but
at the end we both felt really good about it. :)
English club was so funny this week. One guy, who is about 50
something started telling us about all his pen pals. I guess that's
the way he likes to practice English? He told us how he just wants to
be friends, but all these women want romance. It was hilarious.
One woman we met this week was named Nina. She was so friendly, and
wanted to talk to us more so she gave us her phone number. Then, as
we were leaving, she was like wait! And she bent down and started
digging in her bag and pulled out two huge handfuls of dates! Like
the dried fruit. Sister Houseman doesn't even like raisins, and I
could tell she wasn't too jazzed about the dates off the street haha.
But we were both just like "spasibaaa!" and Sister Houseman was like
"So delicious" and the lady was like, "You didn't try them yet!" So I
just ate some so she wouldn't feel bad haha. I heard Sister
Houseman's family reads this blog, so shoutout to them! Your daughter
is SO awesome!!!!!!!!
I love Sister Houseman. We wore twin polka dot outfits this week for
zone conference haha. I think some of the other companionships might
think we're crazy but we can't help that so many funny things happen
all the time! The other missionaries here are really great too,
everyone works so hard and does such a good job! The elders are good
sports, because a lot of times people are way meaner to them--like
pull off their nametags or spit at them or whatever. I'm pretty lucky
that none of that has happened to me yet! And if it does, you'll all
know. :)
Before I left on my mission Caleb cranney told me in a letter that
being on a mission is like finally being able to do all the things you
always meant to do. SO true. I love it here, and I love the people I
have met and meet everyday! I miss lots of people, and I miss lots of
food, but for 18 months, its so worth it! The more I forget myself,
the happier I am!
Lots of love,
Sister McGhie
PS: I officially have to get a new nametag...the Sister
Mangee/Monkey/Magic is getting to be a serious issue.
PPS: Sister Houseman and I invented a cookie. It's called a Cow
Cookie. For two reasons: One, because it's an oatmeal cookie with a
carmel candy called "karovka" (cow) inside. Two: They will make you
fat like a cow.
No comments:
Post a Comment