Monday, September 2, 2013

Letter #33 - 8 year mission?

PREEVYET from Volgograd internet club!  Yay!  Not.  Haha

There is actually no internet in Volzshky, it's ridiculous!  But it's okay, I don't want to waste my time talking about that!  This week was awesome!!!  We had a branch conference yesterday, so President and Sister Prows came up.  It was so good!  We had a goal with the elders to get 40 people there...and we didn't, but still, it was good!!  We had 5 investigators between the two companionships, which was super super great.  Zoya and Alina both came!  Alina's family is doing SO well, her little brother even came to church!

Haha yesterday one of the members asked me, "so, how is it that you served a mission for 8 years?" and I was so confused, and then I got it--he thought when I said I lived in Moscow that I was on a mission, for 8 years!!  He's the first counselor in the branch presidency--he was coming over to tell me it was time I got married already, because he thought I was going on year number 9 on a mission.  When he heard I was still 19 he felt much better, and even offered to play volleyball sometime!  Hahahah.  Another great thing happening in our branch is that people are getting way better at staying both hours, barely anyone leaves straight after Sacrament Meeting!  Which is a big deal!

Yesterday was also exciting because Gosha opened his mission call!!  So he had like 30 people on the internet, then a few over at his house, and he opens it and...the letter says...'dear Sister Lavrik' or something!  Haha it wasn't his letter!  Isn't that awful?!?!?!  Luckily the booklet part was his, so he opened it and saw a map of ....MOSCOW!!  Yeah yeah!!  So cool!!!  I hope he serves in the international branch!  He's really excited, and his mom is SO relieved he isn't going somewhere crazy far away.  And everyone know if the mom ain't happy, no one ain't happy.  So we're happy she's happy.

We had some excellent lessons with members this week.  Not saying that we taught excellent lessons, but more that the members responded excellently!  One babushka who usually lets us get in maybe 7 words read and discussed the whole first chapter of the Book of Mormon with us and then looked at the cover, and went, "Hmmm, I should read this!"  She got baptized 2 years ago.  Better late than never!  We're excited to help her remember the things she was taught and especially to learn how much the Book of Mormon can help her in her life!  Because it seriously is the best book.  I read Alma 29 this morning, and it was so perfect to how I was feeling.

Another thing I've been learning is that you get SO much more out of study if you study with a question in mind.  It's like, I knew that, but really applying it has made such a difference, especially lately.

We had a first lesson with a lady named Nadezhda and her husband--they're pretty old, and we kind of feel like they were more interested in our Americanness than anything sadly.  They took our picture quite a few times, and fed us this crazy marshmallowy cake thing.  Like 4 portions each...she was like, "I know how you Americans are!!  Keep eating!"  She also was very impressed at how "simple" we were.  She said that like 8 times.  I wasn't sure if I should take that as a compliment really.  But then she told me I was a photomodel and took my picture again, so I guess "simple" isn't the worst thing..?

We also taught a member lesson together with Katya.  Then, on the way home, we ran into another less-active member!!  It was so cool.  We all walked and talked together, and we gave the member's friend a Book of MOrmon.  Lots of little amazing things like that happened this week.

I got some letters this week!!  Rachel Page, yours came!!  I am going to send a little list of BRINGS and things not to bring to you, hopefully today if I have any time left.

We got a great shot together with some babushki this week, but the internet club doesn't send pictures so that will have to wait till next time!  Get excited--one is a professional accordion player!  Doesn't get any better than that.

Love you love you love you ALL!!

Today's quote:
"So many of us make a great fuss of matters of small consequence.  We are so easily offended.  Happy is the man who can brush aside the offending remarks of another and go on his way"
I've seen this so much working with people here!  So choose to be happy.  :)

Love love love
Sister 8-year-missionary McGhie
PS:  A secret highlight of my week was when I got to hear Sister Holmes' and Houseman's voices over skype when gosha opened his mission call!  BEST EVER!!  I LOVE YOU TWO!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment