Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Letter #31 - Horoshinki, dyevchonki, zolotiye, etc.

PREEVYET MOI HOROSHINKI!
Horoshinki is one of my more favorite things people call us.  Up on the list as well are "dyevchonki, moi zolotiye, dorogiye, syestreechki and devchyati".  So great.  I wish every one of you could hear and see how one less active babushka, Galina, greets us.  Usually two or more of those horoshinki or dorogiye and then lately she's been giving us ice cream and chocolate.  Doesn't get any better than that.  Then she tells us we need to stay in Russia forever and that she'll find us horoshi zhenihov (good fiancés).  So if anyone out there is in search of some horoshi zhenihov lemme know, I can make some calls.
This week................................I'm so glad I write about my week every week here, because my journal writing is lacking.  Sadly. I try but there is NO TIME EVER!  So this is kind of like a journal..that you all get to read. Haha.  My FAVORITE moment of this week was when we had a first lesson with a lady named Olga Mihailovna, one of our 6 recent potential investigators named Olga.  We had a lesson set up for afternoon, but we reeeally wanted Liza, a member, to be there with us so we ended up asking to move it to later..Olga was kind of hesitant but she agreed.  We found out it was because her family would be home..which turned out to be the best ever!  We got to teach her, her husband, and her 25 year old son.  Her husband is the. nicest. man. He is a doctor, loves to read, and is totally just one of those old men that would be the best grandpa ever!  (Except my grandpas of course.:))  They were so great to teach!  They had a lot of questions, and they aren't sure yet if they want to keep being taught, but it was one of my favorite lessons so far.  There was SUCH a good feeling, and they didn't want us to go!  Their son was kind of not so into it, because he has a seeing problem and feels like God doesn't hear their prayers, but I know that with time we can help them all see how much the gospel will help them in their lives.  I just love the people I teach!! Liza loved it too--she was like, "um, if you go back there, call me!! i love them!"
We taught a few other first lessons this week, one was to a lady named Irina.  The lesson went SO well..and then she was like, "well, I've already made my decision in life.  Thanks for the book!  But we don't need to meet any more".  That was Irina who has a mysterious job by the way..we found out what it was.  She sells rare foods in a reenok.  She wouldn't tell us because she wanted to HIRE us....hahaha.  She was really nice though! Who knows, maybe I have a future in rare food selling at a reenok.  
1 Nephi 15:11
Do you not remember the things which the Lord hath said? - If ye will not harden your hearts,
and ask me in faith, believing that ye will receive,
with diligence in keeping my commandments,
surely these things shall be made known unto you.
Another one was this morning, and a member named Nadezhda came with us--it went really well too!  The lady's name is...Olga!  And this week we should be meeting with 2 other Olgas.  Don't forget Olga Mihailovna!  I swear, if I meet another Olga...haha we have to keep giving them nicknames.  Anyways.  Olga's lesson went well but Nadezhda's eyes about popped out when we extended the baptisimal invitation!  She was like, "ohhh no no no she didn't mean to ask that so soon!" haha I was like, "mmm well actually we did!  don't worry!" Haha Nadezhda is SO cool.  I wish so bad we could send home pictures of members!!!!!!  One day you will all get to see these people I write about.  
On a tour of a river with Svetlana (who doesn't really like Mormons)
We had a big change at church--our time got moved to 11, and we only meet for 2 hours now--3rd got cancelled.  It isn't really the greatest thing, and it kind of shows where our branch is at right now, but I'm hoping that a step back will make it so we can take a lot of steps forward...preferrably this transfer.  Oh, by the way, I'm in Volzshky another transfer!! Woo woo! Transfer number 6 here! SO GLAD! Seriously, and Sister Lundberg is staying too, and I am SO relieved!! We are so ready to work and make this transfer ochen horosho.  Let me just tell you all how great Sister Lundberg is--she is seriously awesome.  All the missionaries are really!  We went on splits this week, and we do it a little differently now--the 2 sisters came to us, so we got to do double the work in our area! It was sweeeet!  
OKAY really good news!  So, first sad news-we had to drop pretty much all of our investigators.  But I don't really want to talk about that at all, but more that because all of a sudden we had quite a bit more time to do some contacting and such, we decided to go domafon a past investigator, Kate, and SHE WAS HOME! We didn't get to go in because she had guests but she said to call her! So we will! Mostly Sister Holmes and Houseman are going to be excited about this.  But you ALL should be!! 
At a domafon
I have such a strong testimony of the power of service.  We cleaned that window for Ludmila F and she is still on cloud nine about it.  It is amazing how much more power just caring and loving for someone has than trying to tell them what to do.  
Today on a marshrutka (do I go one letter without mentioning a marshrutka?) I was talking to one lady and she was telling me how terrified she was to fly on a plane and I about died laughing because there we were, literally flying off our seats the road was so bumpy, and people like falling all over the place with the driver stopping and starting and she was just convinced there was NO way she was brave enough for a plane.
So today's quote connects to service.  
"The noblest service comes from nameless hands, and the best servant does his work unseen".  So find someone today to do something nice for, and do it secretly! 
Love, love, love you all!

Sister McGhie 
Sisters McGhie, Fairbanks, Hoffman, and Lundberg

No comments:

Post a Comment